Students who earn this badge have attended the Data Science for All seminar on Data Wrangling and successfully completed the post-seminar assignment/quiz. This badge attests to the skills students have learned through the seminar and demonstrated through the post-seminar assignment using Jupyter notebooks in Google Colaboratory.
The course was initially developed and presented as part of the Data Science for All seminar series at San Jose State University by Dr. Esperanza Huerta in the Fall 2019 semester. Additional presentations are scheduled for 2020 and 2021.
For a description of the seminar content, see the seminar page. In a nutshell, the knowledge and skills covered by this digital badge include:
- Listing different sources of data and data classifications
- Describing the data science system and data wrangling
- Interpreting, modifying and creating basic Python programs to wrangle data using pandas in Jupyter notebooks in Google Colaboratory
- Receiving data input from the keyboard and from text files, and outputting data to the screen and to text files
- Use basic data types (string, float, integer, and Boolean)
- Using lists
- Using pandas to identify and correct simple data anomalies
In addition to demonstrating an understanding of the basic programing environment in Jupyter notebooks in Google Colaboratory, students who earn this badge show that they can create and trace the execution of a simple program that identifies and corrects data anomalies. They also show they can create basic programs that read and write comma separated values (csv) files using pandas.