Development of the Data Science for All Seminar Series is funded under NSF grant #1829622 with the goal of encouraging students from all backgrounds to explore the possibilities of data science and Big Data early in their academic careers and hopefully pique their interest in the topic through low-risk extra-curricular seminars.
All of the seminar materials are available to other faculty under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license. See the link at the bottom of this page for details on the license.
To request faculty bundles please email Dr. Leslie Albert at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, institution, faculty page URL, and the name of the seminar in which you are interested.
In addition to the materials listed on each seminar’s page, we have created bundles that faculty can request. Since the bundles include testing materials and teaching notes, the request form below requires your faculty email address and the URL of your faculty page (in an effort to prevent sending the materials to your students). For the benefit of other faculty who may be using these materials in their courses, please do not share or publish the bundles to students. The additional faculty materials include the following:
- PowerPoint slides with extensive teaching notes
- Pre-seminar exercises, including additional learning materials and exercises
- Additional materials provided during the seminars
- Post-seminar quizzes for assessing student skills for earning a digital badge
- The digital badge image
- Additional notes on teaching the seminars, timing, and setup
- Instructions on creating datasets (where applicable) or the data files used
- All of the Canvas LMS pages in a text format (for the non-Canvas bundle)
Each seminar is available in two formats:
- A Canvas course cartridge that can be imported into Canvas. Each module is setup as a separate course and has a title page and a module for the seminar itself as well as a pre-seminar module (with optional activities) and a post-seminar module with the quiz and materials for earning a digital badge. If your school uses the Canvas LMS, we recommend this approach since it should require a minimal amount of setup (e.g., editing the main page for the place and time for your seminar).
- A zip file containing the material in the Canvas course. In this format, all of the materials are either in their native format (e.g., PowerPoint for the slides) or a word document with the content of the Canvas pages. The zip file also includes the seminar PowerPoint slides with embedded teaching notes and additional guidance on setting up the seminars.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.